FAMOUS KNYSNA BOAT CHANGES HANDS
Jerome Simonis has sold Dolphin to Eion Gibson.
Here is some of the background to ‘Dolphin’ primarily from the book: Knysna Yacht Club - since 1910, by Malcolm Fraser
A design in ‘The Rudder’ magazine of August 1930 of a fast day cruiser of 27 foot was exactly what Clifford Salmon had in mind when he commissioned a Cape Town boatbuilder to build him a boat. He named her ‘Dolphin’ which remains her name to this day. She was powered by a 12hp Morris Marine engine.
In November 1939 George and Bernard Parkes bought the boat for 200 pound sterling and shipped her to Knysna aboard the ship ‘Chub’ for a small sum and a bottle of brandy for the captain. The cousins agreed the first to marry would forfeit his share and it wasn’t long before Bernard became her sole owner.
Bernard ( Panna ) Parkes entertained furiously aboard Dolphin; every Saturday the boat would pull up to the Yacht Club and anyone who wished could join him for a swim at the Heads followed by evening drinks in the summer. The RAF trainees from George and Oudtshoorn were also welcomed aboard as were the crew of the Fairmile Submarine Chasers that were built by Thesens during the war.
Dolphin had a refit by Thesens after the war. The front cockpit was removed and the rear cockpit was increased in size. After Bernard passed away the boat was sold to Gerard Bester.
Dolphin in her current condition:
We wish Eion every success in restoring Dolphin and showing her at the next Antique&Classic Boatshow.