NEWS

THESEN ROWBOAT UPDATE

Once turned, the hull is now very easy to work on. This is one of the few boats I’ve handled that when pushed up onto its side, doesn’t creek and groan with the weight of itself. The keel is stinkwood I believe and fastened to the boat at several points that show large plugs where the bolts were placed. These can be weak points, but look fairly OK at the moment. In places the caulking string is flush, but in others there is a large void that needs to be filled. I’ve decided to use brown Sika sealant, quick curing and permanently flexible.

wooden boat restoration

Many layers of varnish are visible, curtains and all. It is a pity to remove all the layers that have protected the yellowwood for so many years, but in places it is pitted and discolored. This would seem to be in the area that would be in contact with the ground if she were left on the hard without ground cover. I’ve taken that area back to wood on both sides, stained it repeatedly and applied Woodoc 50, clear, gloss with excellent results. The finished result will follow.

The rowboat was launched this weekend once a cover had been produced to ensure fresh water doesn’t enter her, in the event of rain. There was no chance of fresh water gaining any advantage however as saltwater pooled immediately, from around the garboard area, as she was pushed off her trailer. It wasn’t enough to abort launch and I got the chance to row her for the first time using the new oar I shaped to match the original.

She handles remarkably nimbly. Her transom is entirely above the waterline with only the ‘stem’ of her wine glass shaped stern, underwater. Once moored she was left to swell overnight and this morning I bailed a considerable amount of water from her. It didn’t seem to be replaced so an hour later the last of the water was (ex)sponged. The attached video captures her alluring beauty reflected in the water.